Workout – home treadmill. 10 miles. flat. somewhere around 7:10 min pace. If this machine burned, disappeared, spontaneously combusted, I wouldn’t be upset. might be the most torturous run to date. but it’s done! yippee. not really. today is supposed to be my long run day. instead of tomorrow. the hubs has a long training hike/run/whatever he wants to call it tomorrow. makes my long run today. which is odd because I can’t really fit in 20 miles in one pop on a Friday. so I was going to do 10 this am at the gym and 10 this afternoon. but, through a series of unfortunate events and spousal miscommunication, I ended up on the treadmill downstairs. I might have cried for the last 4 miles. it was that bad. hoping for 10 more this afternoon, but moving on. Here are some fun and exciting things happening today:
1. The stomach bug has hit our home. don’t you almost feel like you can get it just by reading this post about it. ick. it’s so contagious.
2. I think I should be fired as a mother. I totally sent my 5 year old to school with the stomach bug. not on purpose. Right before she got on the van (she takes a van, not a bus because our road can’t fit a bus- she was sorely disappointed when she realized she won’t be riding the bus for another 5 years), she said her tummy hurt and I sent her anyway. bad mom. very bad. To my defense, she uses this complaint often enough that it was kind of the boy who cried wolf type thing. before you think I really am a horrible mom for not doing something about this often enough complaint of a tummy ache, I will give you TMI and tell you she has forever had poop issues and will hold it in and not go, thus giving her a tummy ache. this is what I thought it was. I was wrong.
The school nurse called an hour later with my puking child sitting next to her. I almost cried when I walked in to pick her up. I will be candidly honest with you though – one of the first thoughts that might have popped into my head when the nurse told me she was sick, was shoot, how the heck am I going to finish my run with sick kids??? surely they will all start puking at any minute!?!? I pulled myself together, came back to earth and let the thoughts about running or not running go. it is what it is.
3. Lessons learned – If I’ve learned anything (in my 29 years, it takes me awhile catching on. not true. I’m very quick to learn, I’m smart, funny, pretty, and I’m very humble;-)) it’s that you can make the best plans (like yesterday’s speedwork), or today’s long run, but they don’t always work out. mindblowing. at least I’ve also learned that you actually have to make plans to get anything done. that’s a big step. but more often than not, you’ve got to go with the flow. roll with the punches. whatever that means. not really sure. and be thankful for what you do have – 10 miles under my belt for the day and chill time with the kiddos. that’s good.
4. I see a lot of bleach in my future. and a lot of laundry. all I want is a big bucket of bleach to pour over every surface and doorknob and handle in this house. praying that the rest of us stay healthy. maybe drinking my green smoothie will help.
That probably makes you ill just looking at it. it’s so green today. you know how when you buy a ton of something – like my freezer full of raspberries, you then think there will always be another bag. there wasn’t today. I ran out. turns out it wasn’t a bottomless freezer of raspberries. kind of sad, but the shake was still good. and extra green. yum.
5. Being home with sick kid(s), lends itself well to online shopping. Lets just say I’ve visited Running Warehouse (where you get free shipping and returns and an extra 25% off clearance apparel), Zappos (I also like 6pm.com, but haven’t made it there yet), and Old Navy. good times.
6. It just dawned on me that I have a half marathon next Saturday. I would forget about a half marathon. I didn’t completely forget, just surprised it’s already almost here. Everyone please start praying that we have unseasonably warm CT weather next weekend. thank you.
7. It also just dawned on me that it is Friday, hence there should be a “how to Friday” happening. it’s not happening. but here are some that you can re-read or read for the first time. There’s just a handful. grab some chia seeds and start reading.
Any long runs happening this weekend?
Do you handle changing plans very well, or not at all?
What fun is everyone having this weekend???