So, I fear the days of my rest day Friday are over now that marathon training has commenced. My rest day is Monday. and that’s it. but Fridays will be a fairly light day because of long run Saturdays.
Run – 3 miles easy and 30 minutes strength.
I was doing my driveway workout while the kids played and was then forced into JM 30 day shred by my overly energetic 4 year old. she loves her JM. she also loves her t. swift. and will sing with her one day. so she tells me.
Let’s talk about strength workouts. in the driveway. and wherever else they may happen to happen because I go where the kids go.
But let’s first chat about the happenings of the day. because I’m feeling chatty and I’m feeling an extra special long post. because my posts are always so brief and to the point and lacking random nonsense. everyone needs more of someone else’s random nonsense in their lives. let’s begin.
1. For some reason, instead of buying and making our own coffee, we have been just getting coffee at the coffee shop. My morning iced coffee is one of the greatest parts of my day. pathetic. but true. somehow, every day, it’s a wonderful surprise when I look in the fridge and see my iced coffee sitting there. waiting for me. however, today, I was disappointed. I ran out of my stevia and I had no sweetener for my treat. I tried brown sugar. I was desperate. no go. I tried sugar in the raw. still a no go. It tasted not so great, but I felt compelled to drink it. So I am still drinking my morning coffee.
2. I only had to run a few miles today, so it was nice to wake up early but not have to run. note- I did not wake up early because it was nice to do that. I woke up early because my energizer bunny in the next room was pounding on his door. he was ready to get the day started. as usual.
3. Gymnastics camp is over for my limber little girls. I would be sad that the three hour window in my afternoon when my house is quiet is gone, but they start camp on Monday. all is well.
4. I had a brief moment of panic when my garmin would not function today. I have been talking down on the garmin lately, saying how I don’t need to run every run with it anymore. perhaps it was just giving me a taste of what it would be like to not have it at all. no thanks. I need you garmin. hubs fixed it. the world keeps turning.
5. I stumbled upon the wide wide world of photo editing. oh my. Instagram is fantastic, but there is more. pic stitch is just pure fun and excitement for this stay at home mom with no life. possibilities are endless. get ready.
6. We did some driveway racing. the kids raced each other. I raced the kids. good times. Healthy fun. awards were presented.
Alexandra was very nervous to race me. she beat me by at least 3 strides. it must have been the crocs. wave of the running future. get on that Mizuno, croc inspired sneaks.
Back to strength. I love my strength workouts. I wish I took more time to do them. what strength does for me:
– it makes me feel strong. wow. what a brilliant thought. but really, it’s a good good feeling. I barely did half of JM, and I was drenched, and out of breath. granted, it was crazy hot out, but still. I was working.
– I like being toned. Toned is nice. I know there’s this thought that lifting is not conducive to running, or distance running in particular. I’m fairly certain that my 5-10 pound weights are not going to turn me into the hulk. and hinder my running abilities.
– likewise, I have zero proof and have composed nary a research paper to present to you that lifting weights will improve your running abilities, but I’m fairly certain that it’s probably beneficial, and there probably has been research done to support my unfounded thoughts – and it will probably help you in the long run. Ha. I’m so witty. If anything, you will just feel better about yourself and feel stronger and be a better runner in return. but don’t get all hulky on me. no good.
– strength training doesn’t only have to be in the form of weight lifting. There are many outlets for strengthening that have no weights involved. I’m a big fan of the P90X yoga, Pilates, (I just ordered some new DVDs) and a plethora of other avenues to strengthen without ever touching the gym or using weights. That’s exciting because it breaks up the running and adds a little depth to the fitness activities.
– I can do these workouts whenever and wherever the kids are. I can play with them while I’m working out, tend to their every need and be where they are. super convenient to do with kids around.
– strength training enables me to make these wonderfully beautiful facial expressions. that only come out whilst I am heaving my 10 pound dumbbell. serious work happening.
I do not know why lululemon and shape mag are not knocking down my door to get me modeling their goods. so attractive. that beauty of a mug.
Here’s the workout from today, thanks to pic stitch.
I try to pick a few exercises and go through a circuit of them 3 or 4 times. that usually gets a little muddled, extras get thrown in and some get taken out and there usually is no real order due to kidling interruptions and driveway racing breaks. I do my best.
there’s that face again.
I don’t know what this one is called, but I love it. It’s this dynamic stretching/strengthening. I like using words like dynamic stretching. I did pick up some info from when I started studying to get certified as a personal trainer. which is back on the short list of things to happen very soon. using big training words makes me feel like the personal trainer I aspire to be. that, and a certified running coach. BIG life goals. gonna make it happen. back to the workout – I like this because I have a finicky IT band and I think it helps strengthen those muscles. my legs like to alternate which IT band will flare up in each marathon I run. fun. then I just hold the weights at 90degree angle in a static position to work the arms a bit. whoa. bustin’ out all the terms I’m not qualified to use. swing your leg out to the side and cross in front of other leg, for prestated time, then switch sides.
Another beauty of a face. don’t know what these are either, but it’s a static squat tricep press, which means you stay in squat for the duration, with a straight arm tricep push back. pretty basic. keep your arms straight and push them back.
Pushups. never underestimate the basic exercises. pushups with a twist. work the back. and then downward dog pushups. And curtsy lunges with an overhead shoulder press. fun.
1. Pushup on weights. pull weight back when you straighten arms out of pushup position for back work. And a lot of other muscles. Alternate sides for each rep.
2. Curtsy lunge. just what it says. lunge into a curtsy position. shoulder press when you move into lunge, and arms go back into static bicep curl when you come out of lunge. I know, it doesn’t really make sense to me either when I write it out, but it works.
3. Downward dog position, and push up. Awesome. courtesy of JM and a plethora of other workout DVDs.
Little bit ‘o abs.
V-sit abs, extend arms and legs out at the same time. return to V sit. get a little arm work in there.
voila. I’m done. Please note – I am not certified in anything other than talking about what works for me. the preceding exercises work for me. proceed with caution if you choose to follow. don’t do anything you probably shouldn’t be doing.
onto dinner. which looked suspiciously like last nights dinner. with organic chicken sausage instead of chicken.
I’m lacking originality lately. and it doesn’t bother me. there is food. Its fairly healthy. no one is starving. I did get creative and added honey mustard to my little bean salad. so much better.
This night has been deemed a blog free, computer free night of movie watching with the hubs. signing off until Monday.
What’s on tap for the weekend?? Races??
Ps – I ran the race in my Mizuno mushas. Love them more with every little race. just thought I’d share. sneakers are an important part of running. probably the most important. and mr. Garmin. can’t forget about him. don’t want it to get pissy and shut down on me again. but sneaks come first. make sure they are good ones.
Pps – if you are on instagram and want to follow me, I’m Lcat19. try that. it should be me.